06 June, 2010

How.

It's June.  The Republicans are in the throes of their Wars of Succession.  The Democrats are arguing about who is Less Republican than whom.  Primaries will decide who will be elected to most offices, especially in Utah County.

I had someone ask me, "What are the Libertarians doing to fix the problem?"  Andy McCullough was with me and we looked at each other and said, "Nothing!"   We don't need a statist intervention to 'fix' the problem.  Utah's election laws are far from the worst in the country, and while we'd like to see them mostly eliminated, the last thing in the world we want is more laws/regulations/orders.

When I tell almost anyone (and this is really surprising) that I'm running for County Attorney, every single person, whether they are Libertarian, Republican, or Independent (I haven't spoken to any Democrats for some reason. . .) tells me, "I hope you're going to try to win this.  I'm sick of the people who are running this county."  I'd like to oblige them.

The question remains, though:  What are we doing?

Political campaigns run on awareness.  Who knows who you are; who knows where you stand; who knows that there is a real alternative to the ruling party.  Awareness requires either money or activity.

If anybody in Utah County would like to see someone other than the Incumbent as their chief law enforcement officer, then we need to work together.  Nobody else volunteered to run for the office, and that's OK; but that doesn't mean you have no part in the process.

-- People who care should want to host what are called Cottage Meetings, where we get together in your home, or at your business and you grill me about what I want to do, and why you should vote for a Libertarian.

-- People who care about our community should want to volunteer their yards and storefronts for posters or signs.

-- People who care have to consider using their money to support an alternative to back room deals and absolute irrelevance to their political masters.

I realized after about the third exchange with people that this isn't a one-man fight.  This is a time for people who have been ignored, and laughed at, for decades to stand up and say, "Enough!  Enough corruption.  Enough abuse.  Enough of turning what used to be a place renowned for education and hard work into the laughing stock of the nation, and a flock of sheep to be fleeced."  This is time for you to stand up.

You have every right to tell me what you want; to tell me what you expect; to ask me what I intend to do.  But the answer will be, "Nothing," without your support.


(I note that as of the last time I checked this post about the impossibility of doing this alone, there are zero comments, and as far as I can tell, nobody has read this. . . Without a sense of irony and humor, politics would be a truly desolate thing.)

No comments:

Post a Comment